Author Topic: Strategy for Glo-bus  (Read 11623 times)

jyt

Strategy for Glo-bus
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
I've been doing some internet research on Glo-bus strategy and I've come across many websites that say that there is no one strategy to beat glo-bus, ex. "Almost any professor would say that there is no secret to win this game; it all depends on the decisions made by the companies competing in the game".  I was wondering what does this mean no strategy?  Of course you must have strategy in every game to win and there are also inferior strategies and superior strategies.  If that weren't the case then you could employ any half-assed strategy and expect it to compete well with other team's more thought out approach.  So what do you think when someone say's "no strategy is best" and do you agree or disagree with that?

WinBusinessStrategyGameTips

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
Re: Strategy for Glo-bus
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »
I think you may be taking it too literally. "No strategy" doesn't mean there is no strategy implemented.

It means that "There is no one strategy that will beat the game". However, there are definitely weaker strategies and stronger ones. Ultimately it comes down to being how they all influence each other and the decisions by the other companies.

Obviously stronger strategies beat weaker strategies. And it's because there is a plethora of strategies that could happen, every strategy has it's own specific uses given certain circumstances.

That all said, there are just some things that are just smart. In the case of GB, for example. Treating your employees well, that's just smart. People could argue, to cheap out on employees, and say it's a strategy. And certainly it is.

But it's not a strategy I'd recommend.
For the most up to date support in winning The Business Strategy Game (BGS) and the Global Business Simulation Game (Glo-Bus) visit www.bsgtips.com and Contact the Grand Champion.

jyt

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:33:54 AM »
Am I missing something?  I feel as if there's only one single best strategy for each of the two camera segments and every other strategy is inferior.  Take for example entry-level cameras: the single only best strategy for entry-level cameras is to employ the global low-cost leadership strategy.  Every other strategy is inferior to this strategy.  I can't see a second or third viable strategy for entry-level cameras.  Similarly for multi-featured cameras the best strategy is global differentiation strategy/global best cost strategy and every other strategy is inferior to this.  I'm confused to you saying that there are multiple strategies for different divisions.  Can you name me several examples of different strategies for different situations?   I'd like to hear your take on strategies with examples.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
There's more to it than just placement in the market. And I do explain in more detail in my guide on the different strategies.

I have to throw it back to you then, if there is only one strategy that is superior in every way to the others. Why don't you just roll with that strategy then? And quite yes, you may win. But then, will it work every time or did you get lucky because you went up against someone who didn't know how to counteract it? In theory, is it possible for someone to do it "better" than you, whatever better means?

This game is internationally played, if the game was so one dimensional. It wouldn't be used. The best example of this paradigm, is in the GC.

You have 12 people, who all won the game in their own right, and on some level, believe their strategy is superior.

Only one wins.

Why is that? Something ultimately differentiates a winner from a loser, even when all are winners to begin with. It's up to the player, to see what that something is, before it gets out of hand, and find out something else to fix it and give themselves the advantage.
For the most up to date support in winning The Business Strategy Game (BGS) and the Global Business Simulation Game (Glo-Bus) visit www.bsgtips.com and Contact the Grand Champion.

jyt

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:47:09 AM »
Actually since year 8 we're coming first in the game with 106 points with our strategy.  We're first in every dimension except share price, which I believe is due to our low dividends.  And yes I believe there is one most optimal strategy and every other strategy in inferior.  You say there's more to it than just placement in the market.  Can you elaborate on that?  In my opinion good placement constitutes 95% of the game as that's where you win/lose money.  The other 5% is optimising your other decisions like labour, PATs and finance so you can support your strategy.  But this is a minor issue.  Even if you optimise these other decisions if you're playing with the wrong strategy you're going to make less profit than you could otherwise have. 

Let me put it this way:  It is my belief that there is only 1 sweet spot for each of the camera markets where you make the most money.  Every other product placement and positioning loses out to this.  If you disagree with this statement I'd like you to give examples please.

I'd like to get rid of the notion that this is some sort of genius, unbeatable, super balanced game ok.  As someone who plays a lot of strategy games I can say that most strategy games have a single best path to win and Glo-bus is no different to that.  To create a game that is balanced in every area is very difficult and can only be achieved if it is theoretically possible for all players to draw the game.  Glo-bus is not like that.  There is a winner and a loser in Glo-bus and it is clear that rather than creating a game that is 100% balanced and theoretically possible for all players to tie/draw the game with optimal strategy, this simulation teaches you how to operate in a competitive environment and develop sound business strategy.  That being said there is only one best business strategy, just like there is only one Apple in the tablet/smartphone market.  Every other strategy is inferior.

So please get rid of the notion that there is more than 1 best strategy, there isn't.  That's a misnomer told by the simulation developers in the guide to avoid giving away the secret of what the most optimal strategy is.  If you still disagree on me with this I's like for you to provide examples from Glo-bus stating different situations where different strategies work best in different situations.  I believe global low-cost leadership strategy is the most optimal strategy for entry-cameras and global differentiation strategy/global best cost strategy is the best strategy for multi-featured cameras.  What do you have to say about this?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:40 AM »
I'm not going to disagree with you, and I'm not going to argue with your belief. I'm smarter than to try to theoretically combat someone on any topic, without any purpose for myself.  

You've played 1 game against a bunch of new players, and certainly you've read a lot to ensure you win this game. Congratulations, you've succeeded in creating a strong strategy for yourself.

Take your strategy win, and then copy it and play in the GC. And I'm not saying saying it with attitude or contempt. That should be an easy feat if you've solved the game so completely.

Not referring to Glo-Bus, but let's just say of a classical strategy game such as Starcraft 2, (was going to use Warcraft 3, but meh we'll keep it current). The Protoss faction's most powerful unit is the Carrier. A flying, high health unit, that was able to attack both ground and air. People would mass carriers because it was the most powerful unit, and to people who don't know how such a strategy or would have insufficient troops to deal with this. Would lose. I've done it myself in this game.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/unit/carrier

Despite this, any veteran person of equal positioning in terms of time and resources  should understand how to beat the cheese strategy of mass carriers. And with that said, Carriers are still the most powerful unit on the Protoss that can easily mow down a lot of people who don't understand how to deal with it.

But Starcraft 2 has more to it than massing Carriers, from it's counters to the process to get to there. And personally I can't think of any real-time strategy game (RTS) that "theoretically" all the players can draw. SC2 has a winner and a loser.

You just haven't seen what can beat that specific strategy to prove you otherwise.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:07:00 PM by WinBusinessStrategyGameTips »