Author Topic: The Business Strategy Game Tips  (Read 148781 times)

WinBusinessStrategyGameTips

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
Re: The Business Strategy Game Tips
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
Business Strategy Game Quiz Answers

Most Business Strategy Game classes have quizzes separated in difficulty known as "BSG Quiz 1" and BSG Quiz 2". The quizzes have many in game questions relating to the rules, and some questions can be very difficult. Especially in BSG Quiz 2, the answers will need to be solved using basic business knowledge. Here is an example of a question in BSG Quiz 2.

Given the following exchange rate changes:

Year 1 Year 2
Euros (EUR) per US$ 0.8230 0.8165
Sing$ per Brazilian real 0.5860 0.5710
Brazilian real per euro (EUR) 3.7030 3.7180
US$ per Sing$ 0.5940 0.5980

Then, as explained on the Help screen for the Branded Sales Report, it follows that:

* The euro has grown weaker versus the US$.

* The Brazilian real has grown stronger against the Sing$.

* The Brazilian real has grown stronger versus the euro.

* The euro has grown stronger against the US$.

* The US$ has grown stronger versus the Sing$.

This is how you answer this question. If year 1 values are lower than year 2, that means it takes more money to purchase another currency in the present year. Or in effect, that the currency will grow weaker.

If year 1 is higher than year 2, that means it takes less money to purchase another currency. Or in effect, that the currency will grow stronger.

So let's deduce which one is the right answer.

"The euro will grow weaker versus the US$."

This can not be right, as the numbers have gotten smaller in the second year, which actually means the currency has gotten bigger.

"The Brazilian real will grow stronger against the Sing$."

As the second number has gotten smaller that means the currency has gotten stronger. But the currency in question is the Sing being stronger, and the words are reversed in this answer. This answer is wrong.

"The Brazilian real will grow stronger versus the euro."

The second number is larger than the first, which means that the currency has gotten weaker. Another wrong one.

"The euro will grow stronger against the US$."

By deducing the first answer, it made this answer automatically right. As the first number is higher than the second, which means the currency has gotten stronger.

"The US$ will grow stronger versus the Sing$."

As the second number has gotten bigger, this means the currency has gotten weaker, and this answer is wrong.

Tough stuff eh? It's not that hard if you walk away and come back to it. But this is how tricky the quiz can get.
For the most up to date support in winning The Business Strategy Game (BGS) and the Global Business Simulation Game (Glo-Bus) visit www.bsgtips.com and Contact the Grand Champion.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »
Business Strategy Game Guide - How to Run a Business - Part 1

There are 2 ways to run a business. The right way and the wrong way. As a grand champion who has played the business strategy game for 4 years, my early years were extremely aggressive. By the second time I played BSG, I made 3 people outright fail the course, 5 people fail BSG, and about 3 others barely pass. I was a shrewd thinker, and I wanted to dominate other companies.

But as my hostile tactics became more and more known, I began to receive the reputation of being merciless and how I'd simply be the greatest of a bankrupt industry without having a lot of money myself. I fundamentally changed my strategies on how I'd wield absolute power in an industry, and while I'd dominate, I would channel more energy inwards to making myself greater, than outwards trying to make other companies go bankrupt.

For anyone who researches BSG on the internet comes across the Corvallis "How To Win BSG Online." This site is managed by a handful of Industry Champions who hope to educate new players on the game. While most of their content is respectable, one has to remember that the information is coming from Industry Champions, who at best have seen a few companies, and at worst have only played and won their game once.

I have played BSG rounds hundreds of time now and have seen a plethora of circumstances as a grand champion. One of Corvallis's big sayings is "expand, expand, expand". Now there is a grain of salt to this this mindset. A winning company usually is the biggest, but unbridled expansion is not how you win. That is far too simplistic of a winning idea, which may suffice from an industry champion, but not a grand champion.

A company I've seen had a strategy of "playing big, to win big". The foundation to this strategy is Corvallis's motto "expand, expand, expand". The first few years the company did "all right", but as time went on, the company started to lose it's glory. Amongst the several circumstances surrounding the company, such as a recession, the main reason why this company fell was because they took on far too much debt without sufficient revenues. By the mid game, they were crippled by the amount of debt they took on and the best we could do is simply contain their situation. There is no immediate cure for 400k in debt during a recession.

This company played far too aggressively, spent money before they earned it, and ultimately fell because of it. To think of the strategy "play big, to win big". That isn't really strategy at all. That is what is called GAMBLING, and in his circumstance he lost the bet. Try not to spend lots of money in your business if you're having trouble getting a dime in.

Do not overload yourself with debt trying to reach for the stars. Every company has aspirations to win when they start the game. Pace yourself, grow in sequence with the industry. But to think that overloading yourself with all this debt and everything is going to be OK is not the way to run business. I liken the circumstance to "if you eat too much sugar when you are young, you'll get diabetes when you're old". In BSG it is "take on too much debt in your early years, you'll pay for it dearly when your company matures when it can't handle it.

So now we know not to be overly aggressive, especially when you have not set the foundation of your company. But is wise to be all out aggressive even if your company is doing extremely well? Read Part 2 to find out.

For the most up to date support in winning The Business Strategy Game (BGS) and the Global Business Simulation Game (Glo-Bus) visit www.bsgtips.com and Contact the Grand Champion.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
Business Strategy Game Guide - How to Run a Business Part 2

In the last article we discussed to not be overaggressive especially in the early years. So when is it good to be overaggressive and wield absolute power against your competitors.

Time has mellowed me out from my younger days, and I can now safely say it is not good to be overaggressive. My early companies that were able bankrupt other competitors were not themselves innately rich on the grand scale, although they simply had the most money. Channel your focus towards your company and less emphasis on wanting other people to drop.

A company I am overseeing is extremely successful. They have about 150k in net profit in only year 14, an absurdly early time to be getting that level of a net profit. They are part of the top 25 for the week. They are extraordinarily wealthy and hold great influence over the industry.

The company has 100k in cash, this now sets the tone for one of the happiest questions a company needs to ask itself. What do we spend our money?

A company that is absurdly rich can expand their factories, be overaggressive, begin wielding it's absolute power to bankrupting other companies. I have done this in the past, but are the long term effects of being overaggressive good? No one has started a war against us yet, why rock the boat?

Instead of expanding unnecessarily for the mere pleasure of bankrupting others. My choice strategy is to pay off debt. We will expand in sequence with the industry, but if there is no need to expand, let's pay off debt so if in the event bad times come. We will have deep pockets and a high credit rating to summon resources from.

As well not being overaggressive keeps the balance of power from falling through, therefore we can hopefully maintain our profitable standing for a few more years. As well if someone else creates a price war, the perception would be we were defending our market share, and all that we do is in self defense.

There you have it, pay your debts down, and don't be overaggressive in expanding. If you expand too much, and the industry falls through in a recession, and you have all the debt built up from wild spending during the good days. You have created yourself a situation to lose if anyone smart takes advantage of it.

Ultimately it is safer to not be overzealous in running business, don't spend frivolously, bank away cash and be conservative making smart expansion decisions that are in relation with the industry. That's true business strategy.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »
Business Strategy Game Chapter Quiz Answers

Some very "special" students get the priviledge of need to write the BSG or Glo-Bus Chapter Quizzes that follows closely the premium textbook content embedded right into the BSG/Glo-Bus site. There are usually 12 chapter quizzes and possibly a few exams to complete. And they are very tricky to answer.

For more help with BSG and Glo-Bus Chapter Quizzes, email [email protected]

The Grand Champion of The Business Strategy Game and The Glo-Bus Simulation Game

For the most up to date help with The Business Strategy Game and The Glo-Bus Simulation Game go to www.bsgtips.com or www.bsgtips.com/glo-bus
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:41:26 AM by WinBSGTips »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BSGTips
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 05:54:03 AM »
(reserved)