BSGTips Forum
December 14, 2017, 11:49:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Company leaving competition  (Read 473 times)
LastLaffer

View Profile Email
« on: July 08, 2017, 05:47:21 AM »

We had a company leave the game in the middle of competition. This company was already dead last by a large margin, running with prices double what than everyone else had, half of the star rating of everyone else, and held less than 1% of the market share in every region. It looks like they were trying to focus on the private label segment but it didn't work out very well. The admin removed this company between game years, and I noticed that my projected image rating dropped by 4 points after they were removed. I'm also expecting the industry averages of everything to take a big shift now that they're not there.

Has anybody ever had that happen? How does the game react after a wild competitor leaves? Having a company with no market share leave shouldn't make that much of a difference, but when entering my projections there is a big difference between using last year's numbers and updating them to the new averages.

We're dropping from 10 companies to 9, and we're going into Y15 in the sim.
WinBusinessStrategyGameTips
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »

The game reacts by shrinking the market. You can see this vividly by going to the sales forecast and typing in a new number of competitors.

The projections are misleading, as there is a change. Despite a competitor not having market share when they were in the game. The market is adjusted to having more players in the game, and therefore when a player is gone, the market shrinks to accommodate the new size of the industry.

Edit: Your professor has great control over the industry, while most profs don't do much as they don't understand the interface well. They can make the market grow or shrink at a whim, so there are cases when a company leaves, and the prof leaves the market as if they were still in the.

Generally this is not the case.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:21:28 PM by WinBusinessStrategyGameTips » Logged

For the most up to date support in winning The Business Strategy Game (BGS) and the Global Business Simulation Game (Glo-Bus) visit www.bsgtips.com and Contact the Grand Champion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: